Jesus vs. Santa

I'm straight down the middle on the whole Jesus vs. Santa debate. I'm not altogether certain why there even is a debate.

If, as a parent and a Christian, Santa and his retinue of tiny, red-cloaked, pointy-eared, cookie eating, cider*-sniffing, uber-industrious imps makes you contemplate the fact that Santa is an (switching two letters barely qualifies!!!) anagram for Satan, well... all I have to say is that you are completely out of your fool mind.

The legend of Santa Claus is based on a Bishop!!!!!! named Nicholas. A man who dedicated his life to helping people IN THE NAME OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

If as a parent and a Christian, you are concerned about the greedy souls of your children, and the crass materialism that the holiday season seems to represent... I make this small, tiny, really-quite-flipping-obvious suggestion. Turn off the television. Take your kids to a shelter and let them see what "need" really looks like.

Dedicate yourselves to living closer to Jesus' message about love and giving, like - oh! Santa Claus. Talk about the Christmas story. And then talk about His life. And then talk about His death. And then talk about what it all means in this modern world of ours.

In other words, if you do your job right, you don't need to kill Santa in order to make room for Jesus. But a self-righteous stance is offensive to our lord.
Matthew 23:13 (New International Version)"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to."

Oh, and thanks to Stuff Christians Like author Jon Acuff for inspiring this post. Sorry I ripped off your idea, Jon.



*Why cider and not cocoa? Cider just seems burlier.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

4 Response to "Jesus vs. Santa"

  1. stephy says:
    December 7, 2009 at 1:27 PM

    I know, with our kids I think showing them how some people live (in shelters) and doings things to help them somehow is the best way to get the message across and protect against them getting too materialistic. It's a constant battle it seems, with tv and their friends and peer pressure starting to take place, etc.

  2. cmwheeler says:
    December 8, 2009 at 8:23 AM

    Thank you, Stephy! I hadn't realized until recently just how fired up people get about the "jolly old elf". It always seems as though the self-same folk who are so concerned about sacrilege have a hard time remembering Matthew 7:1-5

    hmmm... though I guess this whole rant comes in under the same principal. bummer.

  3. stephy says:
    December 8, 2009 at 10:24 AM

    Hee hee...totally. I think it's a total cycle of trying, and failing, and needing God, and it just goes round and round that way.

  4. Tiana says:
    December 9, 2009 at 7:09 AM

    I don't think Santa Claus is "of Satan", necessarily, but I do think it is a shame that many, many children show more faith and devotion to Santa than they do to Jesus. In my mind, it has far less to do with materialism than it has to do with *worship*.

    For me, it was very important that I tell my children that Santa is not real. He is a fun pretend story, but that's it.

    We do learn about the real St. Nicholas--that he was a man who loved Jesus, loved people, and was even imprisoned for his faith. That's the part of the "Santa" story we focus on with our little ones.

    I blogged about this issue myself yesterday:
    http://godmadehomegrown.blogspot.com/2009/12/real-or-pretend.html

    Blessings to You!

    :)Tiana

Copyright 2009 O'Joy of my life...
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates