The Noticer by Andy Andrews Book Review



Publisher's Synopsis:

A moving story of common wisdom from the bestselling author of The Traveler’s Gift.

Orange Beach, Alabama is a simple town filled with simple people. But they all have their share of problems – marriages teetering on the brink of divorce, young adults giving up on life, business people on the verge of bankruptcy, and many of the other obstacles that life seems to dish out to the masses.

Fortunately, when things look the darkest – a mysterious old man named Jones has a miraculous way of showing up. Communicating what he calls “a little perspective,” Jones explains that he has been given a gift of noticing things that others miss. In his simple interactions, Jones speaks to that part in everyone that is yearning to understand why things happen and what they can do about it.

Based on a remarkable true story, The Noticer beautifully blends fiction, allegory, and inspiration.


I've been putting off this review for nearly three months. It's not a bad story. Honestly it's pretty sweet, and I'm sure that many people will find exactly what they need in here. I agree absolutely with the tagline, "Sometimes all a person needs is a little perspective." I just couldn't get into it myself. Andy Andrews is a funny, interesting guy, and it bums me out a little that I didn't love this one.

Lord knows that I am willing to suspend disbelief, so the mildly supernatural nature of Jones isn't the problem. And it isn't even the recycling of "Love Languages" that bothers me, (though I'm glad the author acknowledged it.) I'm honestly not sure why it is that I'm not crazy about this book, but I do recommend it, if for no other reason than that you can tell me why I'm wrong!

Here's a preview of The Noticer:



Buy
Read



There is a very cool website in conjunction with the book, called The Noticer Project that asks you to "notice" the five most important people in your life. You write messages to those people that they'll receive by email, but there will also be a copy posted on the site, in the whole send-it-out-to-the-universe kinda thing.

In the interest of full disclosure, I was given a copy of The Noticer by Andy Andrews to read by Thomas Nelson Publishing in exchange for a fair and objective review. I did not take payment from the publisher or author of this book beyond a copy of the book in question. Disclosure Policy
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS
Copyright 2009 O'Joy of my life...
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates