Froot Loops are good for your kids?


Well. They're better than they used to be.

The Kellogg's Company has made a renewed commitment to nutrition as part of their effort to make their food healthier, so that their customers will have healthier choices. In kids cereal, that seems like a bad idea. (For an established brand, that is.) I grew up with Apple Jacks and Froot Loops, and I'm pretty sure that no one was particularly concerned with how healthy my breakfast cereal was. Of course, the times, they are a'changin'.

Kellogg's added three grams of fiber, per serving, to it's two most popular kid's cereals, Apple Jacks and Froot Loops. These cereals include ingredients such as whole-grain corn flour, whole-grain oat flour, oat fiber and soluble corn fiber. They also intend to extend the fiberocity (my word) to other cereal lines shortly.

I was sent the new Apple Jacks with added fiber, Froot Loops original and Froot Loops with added fiber. Oddly enough, the Apple Jacks, smelled more appley (appleish?) than I remember. DH and I both tried it and I even let my nearly five year old daughter have some, mixed in with her regular, unsweetened breakfast cereal. She (no surprise) is a fan.

The Froot Loops were a total hit with my kiddo, and she even managed to scam her dad into giving her an un-modified bowl (no mix-ins). As far as she is concerned there is no taste difference between the original and added fiber versions. DH and I detected a slight, but not unpleasant, change in the aftertaste. The added fiber version also appears to have less of a sugary coating than the original.

I've written here before about what a food nazi I am when it comes to my kidlings, so you might be surprised to see me endorsing sweet cereals. But I am. Kinda. In moderation. I still prefer unsweetened cereal, and would rather reserve the colorful stuff for special occasions and such. However, I know that many moms just aren't in a position to do the same. For those parents, I say go for it. Make the switch to Kellogs Froot Loops or Apple Jacks with added Fiber. Your kids already like it, they'll eat it, and they'll get a little boost in their daily fiber intake. That's a win-win as far as I can tell.

To learn more about the Kellogg's Company's commitment to nutrition, you can click over to KellogsNutrition.com


"I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Kellogg’s and received boxes of Froot Loops and Apple Jacks and a gift certificate to thank me for taking the time to participate." Disclosure Policy
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

0 Response to "Froot Loops are good for your kids?"

Copyright 2009 O'Joy of my life...
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates