Richard Dahlstrom's O2: Beathing new Life into Faith Book Review

In Pastor Richard Dahlstrom's new book, O2: Breathing New Life into Faith, the senior pastor of Bethany Community Church in Seattle , WA, exhorts his fellow Christians to inhale and exhale. (It's a metaphor, okay? Faith is like oxygen, and you have to breathe both in and out in order to live.) I'll let the good pastor explain it himself:



"You inhale life-giving strength from God through things like prayer, study, solitude, and silence. You exhale generosity, hospitality, and service to the poor."
Get it? Don't worry, you will.

Oddly enough, I kept finding myself wanting to highlight paragraphs in this little book and press them upon various relatives. (See? This is how you should approach faith! I'm not the only one that thinks you're annoying, all close-minded hypocritical and such.)

I also experienced several sqeamish-belly moments when I realized the hypocrite was me. (I really, really don't like it when I realize deep self-truths. It's a major bummer.)

I am an exhaler. (It sounds good, right?) I am a New Testament hippie-type "little c" christian (that's my description, not Pastor Richard Dahlstrom's btw). I "do" christian stuff. I'm not so much an "inhaler," and am a wee bit snobby to what I have a tendency to consider as those conservative types. It doesn't mean I have less faith, (or more, for that matter) just that I haven't necessarily tried to incorporate all of what makes a relationship with God so amazing. I'm actually missing out on some really good stuff.

Despite the unquiet belly, I totally recommend this book. I heartily recommend it to all of us Jesus-followers, both the big & little "c" kind. It's not criticism. O2 is instead a warm reminder of how the modern church can come together, and be in true union with Christ.

You can read the first chapter of O2: Breathing New Life Into Faith here, and buy the book here. There's even a free study guide, which you can access here and you can even win a signed copy of 02 for yourself!
There are two ways to enter the giveaway; either head over to Pastor Richard’s blog, Pastoral Musings from Rain City and leave a comment between October 5th and October 24th -OR- Tweet this: @raincitypastor Pub.Weekly voted Breathing New Life into Faith as top 10 book in 2008 check it out! http://tr.im/Au8q #O2.
The winners will be announced on October 26th.


Check out what other people think about O2, by following the blog tour. Be sure to tell them O'Joy of my life... sent you!

One last thing. If you consider yourself to be a "Capital C" Christian, then please read Pastor Richard's post from October 6th about being "Christianized". Incredible, sir.


In the interest of full disclosure, I was given a copy of O2: Breathing New Life Into Faith by Richard Dahlstrohm to review by LitFuse Publicity in exchange for a fair and objective review. I did not take payment from the publisher or author of this book beyond a copy of the book in question.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

0 Response to "Richard Dahlstrom's O2: Beathing new Life into Faith Book Review"

Copyright 2009 O'Joy of my life...
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates