She's just a little girl

My sweet little girl started school today. There were tears, and begging, and even some hair-pulling. Oh, no, not from my kid. LivvieBug was fairly anxious for us to clear out so school could get started. She practically pushed us out of the classroom!

But I was a little jealous of that harried looking mom whose soothing voice and loving touch were doing squat to calm her own kiddo down. Her daughter was actually sad at the prospect of being without her parent. Mine couldn't wait. "Why, oh why doesn't she need me anymore?"

Oh, and she was adorable. Her new short hair (courtesy of an unsupervised pair of safety scissors, ... learned my lesson with that one!) bounced merrily as she sidled up to each classmate lined up with her. She introduced herself to each of their parents as well, soliciting comments about her backpack, bus-pass, room number, and even offered her phone number to someone's younger sibling. (She's been practicing for a while now, and the shy little one apparently seemed like an appreciative audience.)


Pure Unadulterated Joy

My Bug is smart as a whip, and a total social butterfly. I know she's ready. She knows she's ready. But man, oh man... Like DH says, (in the most wistful way) "she's just a little girl". *Sigh*
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

3 Response to "She's just a little girl"

  1. Eliza Says:
    September 11, 2009 at 12:41 PM

    Oh Tina, I love this. It is so bittersweet. I remember my daughter's first day of kinder like it was yesterday and she started 4th grade Wed! Kindergarten isn't so bad, it's when they start 1st grade and they're gone ALL day when it hits hard. I cried for like a week before and during and after. :-) I hope she loves it!

  2. Tina Says:
    September 11, 2009 at 1:07 PM

    In NY it is all day! 8:15am to 2:35pm. (And no naps or recess, either!)

    Wow, 4th grade? Eliza, girl... wow. How did we get so old?

  3. Tina Says:
    September 11, 2009 at 1:07 PM

    In NY it is all day! 8:15am to 2:35pm. (And no naps or recess, either!)

    Wow, 4th grade? Eliza, girl... wow. How did we get so old?

Copyright 2009 O'Joy of my life...
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates