Super Bowl, The Food Edition

I'm only kinda sorta watching. The Bachelor Boys next door are having a get-together, and we used our standing invitation - however, my 19 month old is incapable of recognizing the sanctity of Super Bowl. (In other words, DH and LivvieBug are next door, and little man & I are at home.)

Meanwhile, the Buffalo "wings" I made disappeared about 5 minutes after presentation, and I was actually applauded. So - thought I'd share. The recipe is based on Alton Brown's but I would oh-so modestly say that I improved upon it. (I wish I'd thought to take pictures, maybe next time.)


Buffalo Drumsticks

6 pounds chicken drumsticks (about 26)
3 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
1 cup hot wing sauce (Frank's or Louisiana)
1 cup margarine (melted)
1 cup unsalted butter (1 stick, melted)
3 cloves garlic, minced
Pam
Hot Sauce

In two batches, steam chicken over boiling water in 6 qt. steamer for 15 minutes each. Cover large roasting pans or dark cookie sheets (I needed two) with paper towels (I used three layers) and place steamed chicken on paper towels. Cover with more paper towels and place in refrigerator for 1 1/2 hours.

(The party started at 6pm, I started at 2pm.)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine cayenne pepper, paprika, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in large bowl. Peel the chicken off the paper towels, being careful not to leave any paper behind! Toss drumsticks in pepper mixture. (You want them to be covered but not thickly coated.) Discard paper towels and remaining pepper mixture. Spray Pam on roasting pans or cookie sheets. Place drumsticks on/in pans in opposing directions, bake for 20 minutes, then turn over and bake for another twenty minutes.

Meanwhile- combine melted margarine, butter, wing sauce, minced garlic and remaining kosher salt in large bowl.

Gently (very gently) toss hot drumsticks in sauce mixture. Arrange on platter with celery, blue cheese dressing, ranch dressing, hot sauce; etc.

I utilized the remaining sauce as a dip, and skipped both the celery and blue cheese (not super popular next door.)

Promise! These are killer good, and you will be a queen if you serve these suckers, lol!
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

1 Response to "Super Bowl, The Food Edition"

Copyright 2009 O'Joy of my life...
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates