More on eating

I love to eat. That bears repeating. I love to eat.

I especially love the taste and texture of foods, which is why I'll never again eat escargot or liver anything! I have learned to love cooking, and rarely do I pass up a chocolate confection.

But when it comes to my children, I'm a former food-nazi. My family and close friends would likely assert that I still am, but I've totally mellowed. My four year old is occasionally allowed a lolli, and that child really loves her some cookies (like mother, like daughter, right?) Big fat however - treats are actually treats around here. I don't keep any of it in the house, and in fact I rarely even buy snacks more exciting than goldfish or tortilla chips. Don't get me started on the evils of juice. My kids drink milk & water and that's pretty much it.

The reason that I'm even bringing it up is today's ConsumerQueen post. In partner with Gerber, she's hosting a giveaway for people who join the Start Healthy, Stay Healthy campaign. It's great, if you have a baby or are expecting one, I suggest you head over there.

However - What upset me so much is this statistic from the Feeding Infants and Toddlers Study (FITS) conducted by Gerber: Soda is being served to infants as young as 8 months. What!?!

Now I know that we Gen X-ers had less supervision than any generation before us, but please tell me that you were taught better than that! (Okay - on review, obviously some people weren't, I know of someone who feeds her 6-week-old chocolate pudding.)

I just can't stand it! Look, I live on coffee, and when I have a nasty headache, there's nothing like a fountain soda to cure my blues. However, I am an adult. My children's rapidly developing brains and bodies have no real defense against this crap.

It's not like it's such a big deal. No soda and candy for preschoolers is a happy home. (Someone slipped my then three-year old some Sprite at a party, and believe me, they were sorry for it when she went on a rampage 20 minutes later.) When your babies can't choose their own foods; when you are making all the dietary decisions - how bloody hard can it be to get the damn fruit cup instead of the fries at the drive-thru?

I'm just saying.
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

5 Response to "More on eating"

  1. Sabrae Carter says:
    February 4, 2009 at 7:01 PM

    Man I'm so not a picky eater! lol When I was a kid it use to be Ho-Ho's with swiss cheese wrapped around them! lol Oh and can't forget the mountain dew!!! :)

  2. cmwheeler says:
    February 5, 2009 at 8:56 AM

    Sabrae - you are crazy, lol!

  3. Mean Muggs says:
    February 5, 2009 at 1:16 PM

    Jesus is probably only slightly more well known than my love for the Mt. Dew. For me the crazy growing up food was peanut butter on hotdogs!

  4. mamaneeds2rant says:
    February 6, 2009 at 11:34 AM

    Yikes! Soda to a baby? What's wrong with people?

  5. Wounded and Healing says:
    February 6, 2009 at 4:29 PM

    Giving soda to an eight-month-old? Yeesh! My daughter is 17 months and she hasn't had soda yet. I also still dilute her juice with water! I do let her have fries every so often with meals out, especially if that's only non-messy option.

Copyright 2009 O'Joy of my life...
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates