The Weird One


Um, DH is a very big fan of Weird Al Yankovic. Huge, really. Early on in our relationship, he expressed great shock when he learned that I had the barest of acquaintance with "The Weird One". (UHF, Eat It!, and Amish Paradise pretty much summed it up.) I didn't even know that he did anything besides parodies! (Um - I sooooo know better now, after an exhaustive intro to the Weird Al retrospective.) Apparently, Mr. Yankovic was a huge part of DH's growing up years - so when he heard tickets being offered up on a local radio talk show, he called in, and wouldn't you know it - the man actually won! Not only did he get two tickets to the "Straight Outta Lynnwood" concert at the Pier 6 Pavilion Friday night, but he scored a meet -n- greet with the man, too.


Can I begin with just this: I haven't laughed so hard in at least ten years. I actually had to fight for breath, and was clutching my aching sides. I'd say it was quite possibly the best straight-up performance I've ever seen. It is a show, folks. Some pics for ya:

This is from the opener where he performed two compilations, and finished with "Canadian Idiot".




And this is the finale to another compilation called
"Do I Creep You Out?"















And then we've got "Eat It,"...
...and "The Saga Begins,"...



..."Smells Like Nirvana,"...






...and "Amish Paradise,"...










...and the notorious, "I'm Fat".





But the best pic?




There were so many songs, videos, celeb interviews courtesy of "Al TV", cartoon shorts, and costume changes - I cannot even begin to tell you how the man managed it all, and still stuck around for an hour of photos and autographs.

At any rate - I used to think Weird Al was a funny guy. Now, I'm a fan. Thanks for the laughs, Odd One!


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

3 Response to "The Weird One"

  1. Shireen Loh says:
    July 16, 2008 at 12:02 AM

    Oh gosh! I love the ODD One too!! LOL...

  2. Kim @ What's That Smell? says:
    July 22, 2008 at 10:56 PM

    Weird Al is well...weird but you have to love him!

    I simply love the Star Wars song!!!!

  3. Condo Blues says:
    July 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM

    I went to a Weird Al concert and it was a little surreal. It was the only rock concert I attended where everyone.sat.in.their.seats. It was a great show though. Al changed costumes for every song, even Blonde Ambition Madonna didn't do that.

Copyright 2009 O'Joy of my life...
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft
Powered by Blogger Templates